Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Margarita Sampson





The name of this sculpture is Margarita Sampson and it was made by Fiona Hall. The sculpture is mainly black and decorated by red dots. The artist used crochet to construct these organic shapes out of a mix of recycled wool, armature wire and a box of old videotapes.

The sculpture hung above the cliffs, which matches the environment quite well. In my opinion, it is a typical abstract sculpture, and different people have different imagination. When I looked at the sculpture on my excursion,I thought it looked like a bird which was locked under the cliff and it couldn't fly and couldn't move. Because of its shape and colour, it reminded me of a tragic story that my grandmother told me when I was a child. It was about two dead persons that lived in their own ghostly world. When I listened to the story first, I felt so sad and confused. I didn't know why it was so difficult that these dead people wanted to get freedom from their boss who was the owner of hell.

However, the sculpture is soft and hangs from the cliff, so it is very difficult for the public to interact with it. From my point of view, the artist just wants to say that making life is a pretty difficult process for any living beings. After a long term struggling with nature, some beings continue to live but some others don't. It's the law of the strongest.

No comments:

Post a Comment